From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of D=
avid
Sent: 18 February 2011 22:20
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Replace a TIVO with ?

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:25:11 +0000, Marcus Warrington
<marcus.warrington@xxxxxxx<mailto:marcus.warrington%40mis-es.com>>
wrote=
:

>My vote goes to getting a reconditioned Topfield PVR ;the wife's
bedroom P=
VR was =A350 from eBay although they seem to be a bit dearer atm

>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Topfield-TF5810PVRt-Freeview-GRADED-NO-HDD-FITTED-/2=
60739128515?pt=3DUK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=3Ditem3cb5435cc3

>.. and then stick the "MyStuff" UI on it.
>
>http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml

I don't know if there is anything better on sale at the moment, but
I'd hesitate to recommend the Topfield TF5810. I have had one for 2
years and it has been nothing but trouble: sent back for repair under
warranty once, and has come very close on a dozen other occasions
(usually resulting in having to completely reset the machine and
format the hard drive, losing all my recordings). From what I have
read, it seems my experience is not unusual.

My TF5800, on the other hand, has run almost faultlessly for 5 years.
If you're looking at a used or reconditioned Toppy, that would be the
one I would recommend if you can find one.

David

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums