RE: Replace a TIVO with ?

> Anyone have good / bad things to say about Humax, or able to
offer
> alternatives ?

I replaced TiVo a couple of years ago with Humax Freeview 9300 on my main
TV. I use Logitech Harmony as remote, and I managed to re-map the keys to
provide a 'similar' interface on the remote to TiVo. I found the original
Humax remote badly designed, eg the equivalent of the 'Now Playing' on Tivo
is a tiny button called 'Play List' under the Humax remote flap at bottom
of
remote. I just remapped this key to the original 'Now Playing' key on the
Logitech remote, so less confusion with remote etc.

The Humax is not so good at remembering series links, so you need to keep
an
eye on what is in the schedule.

The other thing you should consider is a new TV with builtin internet PVR.
My second TV (Sony) has built in iPlayer, 4oD, five.tv, lovefilm, DLNA etc,
so almost negates the need for a PVR & Media Player. Some BD players
also
have this built in.

What ever you go for, the UI, user experience and reliability will not be
as
good as the TiVo experience you are used to, you just have to prepare
yourself (and other users) for that. One of the things I still miss from
the
TiVo from 2 years ago, is sound effects when fast forwarding 'blip blip,
blip blip, blip blip', and the 'bong' when you get to top/bottom of
selections :)

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums