Re: Re: Giving up on WHS- looking for a FAST/BIG network media storage solution

Before you move away, have you tried disabling the demigrator
service=20=20
when you want to play media. I had the same problem with DVD/mkv
based=20=20
media (no BD media). By scheduling the service to stop at 6pm and
then=20=20
restart at midnight all of my playback issues went away.

Have a look at wegotserved formus, there a script hanging around
there=20=20
that does the job.

You could also try WHS Vail which has supposidly had the demigrator=20=20
process totally rewritten - but as this is in Beta would you trust it=20=20
with your media.

Regards
John

On 27 May 2010, at 14:51, "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was going for the hitachi as they are faster due to spin speed.
> Naturally HDD's running at 5400 will run cooler than 7200rpm -
the=20=20
> samsungs are 5400. In practice whether the spin speed gives any
real=20=20
> speed/performance gains...I am not sure! May be a smarter a
person=20=20
> than I can answer that question!
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@...> wrote:
>>
>> Can't help too much but was interested in your choice of
hard=20=20
>> drives. The
>> advice I received when I was looking for bare drives was
that=20=20
>> Hitachi's run
>> hot - much warmer than Samsung and WD. Consequently I went with
2x=20=20
>> 1TB
>> Samsungs even though they were =C2=A39-10 more expensive per
drive.

>> HTH,
>>
>> Tim.
>>

>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM, keyvan2r <k1@...> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Last year I decided to build a windows home server box to
house my
>>> collection of movies & blu-rays - 5.5Tb(2x 2tb hitachi, 1x
1.5TB=20=20
>>> WD, 550Mb
>>> WD System drive. I have around 450 DVD's and 100 BD's.
>>> From the start I had performance issues with WHS box. It is a
high=20=20
>>> spec
>>> machine with quality components. The streaming of movies is
very=20=20
>>> slow, I
>>> almost always get stopping, stutter and skipping with BD and
often=20=20
>>> with DVD.
>>> I also always have to rip to a local disk and copy the folder
over=20=20
>>> server. The copy process is also often really slow and
invloves a=20=20
>>> number of
>>> time-out errors (retry button).
>>> I tried rebuilding the machine, bought an adaptec 4 port
pci-e=20=20
>>> controller.
>>> Turned off all file duplication. I have read about issues re
DE=20=20
>>> Migrator,
>>> but I can not see why it is soooo slow!
>>> I am now at a point where I need to look at an alternative
solution.
>>> unRaid from Lime tech seems to be the best one so far. It
has=20=20
>>> "user shares"
>>> which can span multiple drives thus giving the "big
disk" feature=20=20
>>> which I
>>> get from WHS - plus it offers a single disk failure
protection. I=20=20
>>> use
>>> MyMovies/WMC for my client pc's for media managment / playback
-=20=20
>>> their
>>> version for WHS was another driver to choose WHS. I keep DVD's
in=20=20
>>> Video_ts
>>> folders and BD's as ISO. I have dabbled with Cinemar's
DVDLobby=20=20
>>> and Plex.
>>> Might look at DVDLobby again now that 3.9 with on-screen
display=20=20
>>> (as in
>>> Kaleidescape)- I prefer that method of browsing titles to the
touch
>>> screen...
>>> Obviously I have to build this in addition to the existing WHS
in=20=20
>>> order to
>>> copy the data (all 4.8 tb!). This is the set of components I
am=20=20
>>> considering:
>>> Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
>>> 2 Gb Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR3
>>> AMD Athlon II X2 250
>>> Coolermaster RC-590
>>> 450W Corsair CMPSU-450HXUK, Modular
>>> 3x 2TB Hitachi Saturn
>>> This comes to around =C2=A3600. Plus $120 for the unRaid OS on
USB.
>>> Before I go ahead, just wanted to get some advice / input from
the=20=20
>>> forum to
>>> see if anyone can give me a pros/cons or alternate solution
to=20=20
>>> consider.
>>> Clearly the major drawback of moving from WHS is that I would
need a
>>> dedicated extra pc (like a basic XP Pro box) to manage the
database
>>> (MyMovies or Lobby server)as unRaid would just be a NAS with
no app
>>> capability, but if I can not get whs to stream or have
files=20=20