Re: Giving up on WHS- looking for a FAST/BIG network media storage solution

  • Subject: Re: Giving up on WHS- looking for a FAST/BIG network media storage solution
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:51:15 -0000

I was going for the hitachi as they are faster due to spin speed.
Naturally HDD's running at 5400 will run cooler than 7200rpm - the
samsungs=
are 5400. In practice whether the spin speed gives any real speed/performa=
nce gains...I am not sure! May be a smarter a person than I can answer
that=
question!

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> Can't help too much but was interested in your choice of hard drives.
The
> advice I received when I was looking for bare drives was that
Hitachi's r=
un
> hot - much warmer than Samsung and WD. Consequently I went with 2x 1TB
> Samsungs even though they were =A39-10 more expensive per drive.
>=20
> HTH,
>=20
> Tim.
>=20
>=20
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM, keyvan2r <k1@...> wrote:
>=20
> > Hi all
> >
> > Last year I decided to build a windows home server box to house
my
> > collection of movies & blu-rays - 5.5Tb(2x 2tb hitachi, 1x
1.5TB WD, 55=
0Mb
> > WD System drive. I have around 450 DVD's and 100 BD's.
> > From the start I had performance issues with WHS box. It is a
high spec
> > machine with quality components. The streaming of movies is very
slow, =
> > almost always get stopping, stutter and skipping with BD and
often with=
DVD.
> > I also always have to rip to a local disk and copy the folder
over to
> > server. The copy process is also often really slow and invloves a
numbe=
r of
> > time-out errors (retry button).
> > I tried rebuilding the machine, bought an adaptec 4 port pci-e
controll=
er.
> > Turned off all file duplication. I have read about issues re DE
Migrato=
r,
> > but I can not see why it is soooo slow!
> > I am now at a point where I need to look at an alternative
solution.
> > unRaid from Lime tech seems to be the best one so far. It has
"user sha=
res"
> > which can span multiple drives thus giving the "big
disk" feature which=
> > get from WHS - plus it offers a single disk failure protection. I
use
> > MyMovies/WMC for my client pc's for media managment / playback -
their
> > version for WHS was another driver to choose WHS. I keep DVD's in
Video=
_ts
> > folders and BD's as ISO. I have dabbled with Cinemar's DVDLobby
and Ple=
x.
> > Might look at DVDLobby again now that 3.9 with on-screen display
(as in
> > Kaleidescape)- I prefer that method of browsing titles to the
touch
> > screen...
> > Obviously I have to build this in addition to the existing WHS in
order=
> > copy the data (all 4.8 tb!). This is the set of components I am
conside=
ring:
> > Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
> > 2 Gb Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR3
> > AMD Athlon II X2 250
> > Coolermaster RC-590
> > 450W Corsair CMPSU-450HXUK, Modular
> > 3x 2TB Hitachi Saturn
> > This comes to around =A3600. Plus $120 for the unRaid OS on USB.
> > Before I go ahead, just wanted to get some advice / input from
the foru=
m to
> > see if anyone can give me a pros/cons or alternate solution to
consider=
.
> > Clearly the major drawback of moving from WHS is that I would
need a
> > dedicated extra pc (like a basic XP Pro box) to manage the
database
> > (MyMovies or Lobby server)as unRaid would just be a NAS with no
app
> > capability, but if I can not get whs to stream or have files
copied to =
it
> > easily, then I have no other choice.
> > Thank you in advance for your kind input..

>=20
>=20

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums