Re: Giving up on WHS- looking for a FAST/BIG network media storage solution

This may be a stoopid suggestion but I had similar stuttering problems
with one of my servers, turned out to be the network card which was set
to 100Mb full duplex, changing it to auto negotiate cured the problem.
No, I don't know why either.

Regards
Martin

Martin Howell
ICT Project Consultant
07949 138454

Grizelli Associates Limited
working in partnership with Northgate Information Systems

keyvan2r wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Last year I decided to build a windows home server box to house my
collection of movies & blu-rays - 5.5Tb(2x 2tb hitachi, 1x 1.5TB WD,
550Mb WD System drive. I have around 450 DVD's and 100 BD's.
>>From the start I had performance issues with WHS box. It is a high
spec machine with quality components. The streaming of movies is very slow,
I almost always get stopping, stutter and skipping with BD and often with
DVD. I also always have to rip to a local disk and copy the folder over to
server. The copy process is also often really slow and invloves a number of
time-out errors (retry button).
> I tried rebuilding the machine, bought an adaptec 4 port pci-e
controller. Turned off all file duplication. I have read about issues re DE
Migrator, but I can not see why it is soooo slow!
> I am now at a point where I need to look at an alternative solution.
> unRaid from Lime tech seems to be the best one so far. It has
"user shares" which can span multiple drives thus giving the
"big disk" feature which I get from WHS - plus it offers a single
disk failure protection. I use MyMovies/WMC for my client pc's for media
managment / playback - their version for WHS was another driver to choose
WHS. I keep DVD's in Video_ts folders and BD's as ISO. I have dabbled with
Cinemar's DVDLobby and Plex. Might look at DVDLobby again now that 3.9 with
on-screen display (as in Kaleidescape)- I prefer that method of browsing
titles to the touch screen...
> Obviously I have to build this in addition to the existing WHS in
order to copy the data (all 4.8 tb!). This is the set of components I am
considering:
> Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
> 2 Gb Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR3
> AMD Athlon II X2 250
> Coolermaster RC-590
> 450W Corsair CMPSU-450HXUK, Modular
> 3x 2TB Hitachi Saturn
> This comes to around £600. Plus $120 for the unRaid OS on USB.
> Before I go ahead, just wanted to get some advice / input from the
forum to see if anyone can give me a pros/cons or alternate solution to
consider. Clearly the major drawback of moving from WHS is that I would
need a dedicated extra pc (like a basic XP Pro box) to manage the database
(MyMovies or Lobby server)as unRaid would just be a NAS with no app
capability, but if I can not get whs to stream or have files copied to it
easily, then I have no other choice.