Re: Giving up on WHS- looking for a FAST/BIG network media storage solution

  • Subject: Re: Giving up on WHS- looking for a FAST/BIG network media storage solution
  • From: Phillip Harris <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 20:41:54 +0100

UnRAID only supports up to 20 drives though - I have 27 bays in my
beast (w=
ith 17 already in use).

I have big hopes for VAIL as I seem to be having a few oddities with WHS -
=
thing is that there seems to be nothing that really does what WHS does
eith=
er...

Phil

On 27 May 2010, at 14:25, keyvan2r wrote:

> Hi all
>=20
> Last year I decided to build a windows home server box to house my
collec=
tion of movies & blu-rays - 5.5Tb(2x 2tb hitachi, 1x 1.5TB WD, 550Mb WD
Sys=
tem drive. I have around 450 DVD's and 100 BD's.
>> From the start I had performance issues with WHS box. It is a high
spec =
machine with quality components. The streaming of movies is very slow, I
al=
most always get stopping, stutter and skipping with BD and often with DVD.
=
I also always have to rip to a local disk and copy the folder over to
serve=
r. The copy process is also often really slow and invloves a number of
time=
-out errors (retry button).
> I tried rebuilding the machine, bought an adaptec 4 port pci-e
controller=
. Turned off all file duplication. I have read about issues re DE
Migrator,=
but I can not see why it is soooo slow!=20
> I am now at a point where I need to look at an alternative solution.
> unRaid from Lime tech seems to be the best one so far. It has
"user share=
s" which can span multiple drives thus giving the "big disk"
feature which =
I get from WHS - plus it offers a single disk failure protection. I use
MyM=
ovies/WMC for my client pc's for media managment / playback - their
version=
for WHS was another driver to choose WHS. I keep DVD's in Video_ts folders=
and BD's as ISO. I have dabbled with Cinemar's DVDLobby and Plex. Might lo=
ok at DVDLobby again now that 3.9 with on-screen display (as in
Kaleidescap=
e)- I prefer that method of browsing titles to the touch screen...
> Obviously I have to build this in addition to the existing WHS in
order t=
o copy the data (all 4.8 tb!). This is the set of components I am
consideri=
ng:
> Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
> 2 Gb Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR3=20
> AMD Athlon II X2 250
> Coolermaster RC-590
> 450W Corsair CMPSU-450HXUK, Modular
> 3x 2TB Hitachi Saturn
> This comes to around =A3600. Plus $120 for the unRaid OS on USB.
> Before I go ahead, just wanted to get some advice / input from the
forum =
to see if anyone can give me a pros/cons or alternate solution to
consider.=
Clearly the major drawback of moving from WHS is that I would need a dedic=
ated extra pc (like a basic XP Pro box) to manage the database (MyMovies
or=
Lobby server)as unRaid would just be a NAS with no app capability, but if =
I can not get whs to stream or have files copied to it easily, then I have
=
no other choice.