Re: Giving up on WHS- looking for a FAST/BIG network media storage solution

On Thu May 27, 2010 at 02:49:20PM +0100, Martin Howell wrote:
> This may be a stoopid suggestion but I had similar stuttering problems
> with one of my servers, turned out to be the network card which was
set
> to 100Mb full duplex, changing it to auto negotiate cured the problem.
> No, I don't know why either.

Probably because the switch it was connected to had decided to use 100Mb
half
duplex. If a switch doesn't manage to do auto negotiation, because the PC
has
been hard coded, it'll be able to work out whether the PC is 100M or 10M,
but
won't be able to work out between full duplex and half duplex. Many
switches
will default to half duplex in that case.

Simon

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums