Keeping node0 cool...

  • Subject: Keeping node0 cool...
  • From: Vargster <vargster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:03:31 +0100

This has been kind of discussed before, but I was wondering what you
chaps
did about cooling your Node0's?

Mine has been gradually gaining kit and then over the last few months the
server has been acting a bit strange (locking up, rebooting, random
processes crashing), then last week the server it locked up and wouldn't
restart. I dragged it out of "my little node0" (aka the cupboard
under the
stairs) and found the hard drive was corrupt. Re-imaging it and then
updating from the backups :)
got it working again. Since then it's been on the desk in my study, and
it's
been 100% solid, no restarts/lock ups nothing. I put this down to the
temperature in N0, it was getting a bit hot in there.

I've drilled a 4" hole in the wall of N0 (going back into the hallway)
and
put a duct through, then trimmed 1/2" off the bottom of the door. This
did
nothing for the temperatures.
I've tried a 120mm PC case fan and also an old bathroom extractor fan, to
blow out the warm air. But they only lower the temperature by 1'C or so.

What next? Ideally I'm like to keep the heat in the house to warm it over
the winter (save energy and all that) but what are you guys doing to cool
your N0's?

Lee

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums