Re: [ukha_d] RE: XP stalls during boot-up…

Hi guys,

I=92m still struggling with this :-(

I=92ve run Dell diagnostics, Partition Magic, Norton System Works and a few
inbuilt Windows checks and no faults are detected with the new drive.
I=92v=
also checked the volume serial numbers for both disks and they=92re
identic=
al
(presumably as I ghosted the images across) so there shouldn=92t be an
issu=
with Windows licensing either.

The machine still stalls during boot-up.  I don=92t have the admin password
and am reluctant to =93Setup Windows=94 using an XP Pro disk when the
lapto=
p has
XP Home.

Any further thoughts?

Cheers,

Tim.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> the last few entries are:
> ntfs.sys
> ndis.sys
> sbp2port.sys
> ohc1394.sys
> 1394bus.sys
> mup.sys
>
> then the black screen with the Safe Mode text, and then the blue
letterbo=
> screen with the WinXP logo. There's still some HDD activity up to this
po=
int
> but then it stops after 5-10 seconds on the blue screen.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Tim.
>
>   On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Paul Gale
<groups2@xxxxxxx>wro=
te:

>> When booting in safe mode, does it show the boot log on screen?
What's t=
he
>> last entry before it hangs? Is there still HDD activity after
that?

>> Paul.

got an X=
>> > Pro cd
>> > =96 the laptop needs XP Home and only has a recovery
partition. To cap=
it
>> > all,
>> > I can=92t remember the administrator password I setup 4 years
ago=85

>> > Any ideas?
>> >

>> > Many thanks,
>> >

>> > Tim.