Re: Re: Flow switch recommendations - and integration to HA server

You can do it a couple of ways :-)
If you only have the flow switch and want to send an X10 signal then
connect
the two terminals on the Powerflash to the two terminals on the flow
switch.
When the flow switch is activated and the internal contacts are closed, the
Powerflash unit detects this and sends the X10 command (vice versa when
flow
stops and switch contact opens). The flow switch is termed to have
"volt
free" or "dry" contacts as they are just a simple switch, no
other power of
their own (think conventional light switch plate).

If you've got multiple devices you want to trigger then you might be better
having a power supply (12V DC typically) with one side connected to the
flow
switch, then on from the switch to the coil of a relay out of the relay
coil
onto the second relay (continue as required) then back to the power supply.
Now when the flow switch activates it completes the circuit and the relay
coils are energised. Your devices (e.g. mirror mat) are wired to the
contact
side of the relays and so are not switch directly by the contacts on the
flow switch itself. This means you don't need a mains rated or high current
flow switch to control the ultimate devices (see the main picture /
animation in the first link).

Note you can get relays with multiple sets of contacts. If you're mixing
mains and LV end devices I'd be tempted to use two separate relays rather
than try to wire it all into one unit.

Hope that clarifies,

Cheers,

Tim.