Re: EU smart-home concept shown off15 February 2010 15:33:05

colin7598 wrote:

> Sad to say ...... it is still not big business.

And it never will be.  At least until the geeks realise it's not about
trying to have your fridge re-order groceries for you etc.

It's about simple, predictable, everyday tasks being taken care of for
you.  The "fridge-ordering-stuff-you've-used" example fails
because it
relies on you needing the same ingredients for your meals
week-in-week-out, which we all know is nonsense.

However, mowing the lawn, exterior lighting, opening garage doors,
watering the garden, night lighting - "Man stuff"; things that
are
predictable - these are simple to automate and will work very well.

I'm going to have to run for cover after saying this, but maybe, just
maybe, it's only "Man stuff" that can be succsessfully automated
- we
only run into trouble when we try to automate things that women like,,,
(WAF be damned - it's just not possible!_

Mal

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums