Re: Suggestions for new Media PC

  • Subject: Re: Suggestions for new Media PC
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:28:23 GMT

In article <4B790C3C.9060406@xxxxxxx>, Jamie Bennett wrote:
> I'm wondering how it would cope with a couple of USB freeview
> tunes recording at the same time as playback. I presume it would cope
> fine but it would be nice to know before I press the buy button.

Last night we had this lot recording.
CH5, 7:30PM for 35mins
BBC4, 8PM for 1hr10
Quest, 8PM for 1hr10
CH4, 8PM for 1hr10
BBC1, 8PM for 1hr
BBC1, 9PM for 1hr
CH4, 10PM, 1hr15
BBC1, 10:35PM for 1hr

I took a peek at 8PM when it was doing five recordings and CPU peaked at
19% and iotop showed only 3MBytes/s hitting the hard disk. Loads of
headroom.

I also tested playing three different programs at once (two on frontends
and one on backend) and there were no issues.

At the weekend, I'm going to actually set out to try and find its
limits!

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums