Re: Music file formats with Sonos

  • Subject: Re: Music file formats with Sonos
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:56:17 -0000

I'd suggest you do a few 'blind' tests between the formats before you
re-rip.  I have a big mp3 library all ripped at 320. Ok so top end for mp3.
Iwas thinking of going to flac so we tried various tracks at different
rates on a squeezebox 3 through an arcam avr350 plus also through native cd
(again a decent if 6 year old arcam).

What really surprised us was we couldn't distinguish betwen cd and 320 mp3
in any real way. Flac didn't make any difference either.  Consequently I
didn't bother re-ripping!  However, the difference with lower mp3 (below
200) bitrates was noticable.

Ok so this is not top end gear but it is pretty good quality but I was very
surprised with the result.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tony" <tony@...> wrote:

> Until recently i had all the tracks on my media server in mp3 format
as I had been playing them with devices such as Rio, Exstreamer etc

> I've now changed to using Sonos (currently 2 x ZP120 and an S5 on
order) so have replaced the mp3 versions of my itunes tracks with the m4a
versions

> But am wondering if I should re-rip my CD's to flac (though this will
mean keeping 2 music libraries as my ipod and iphone can't play flac as far
as i know, but space isn't a problem)

> The thing is it's going to take quite a while to re-rip the tracks to
flac and I'm wondering if, as i'm no audiophile, whether re-ripping them
from mp3 to a lossless format will really make that much difference to the
sound for me

> Was wondering what format other sonos users tend to use please, and if
they feel it's worth the effort to re-rip them? If so, is there a
recommended program to rip them to flac with please?

> Also, if I do re-rip is it worth also ripping them to m4a (perhaps
from the flac version later) for the ipod/iphone's rather than keeping the
mp3 versions please?