Re: Electronics question

Could it be anything as simple as some configuration parameters for
the
specific Avocent port in use that causes the port to assert DTR ?  3.5V
is not a large enough voltage here to work with most RS232 equipment
-and obviously isn't enough to power a 5V regulator.  The port was
'open' when you made this measurement I assume.

Ant's suggestions is neat way around this - albeit requiring a secondary
PSU.