RE: Electronics question

Hi Ant,

I suspect the same cause, - insufficient power available from the DTR pin
drive the circuit... - for instance, there's only 0.99Vdc between the VDD
&
GND pins for the DS1820 (as measured at the screw terminal on the 3145
board). The quasar page suggests there should be at least 4.4V between
these
lines *at the remote end* - so I think that seems fairly conclusive...

I'd thought about hacking a PSU in instead, rather than trying to take
power
from the DTR line. - I'm concerned about the isolation between any such PSU
& the Avocent ports though, - I'd hate to damage a port (or worse the
whole
unit) by feeding back in a voltage where it didn't like it!

I'm by no means any kind of electronics expert, (not even close!) so I'd
appreciate some sage advice about what (or what NOT) to attempt in any such
experimentation... for instance, the circuit clearly only requires 3 pins
from the serial interface: DTR, GND, RXD... I assume an external PSU would
need to be connected across DTR & GND... - but should I leave the
existing
DTR & GND connections to the Avocent in place or remove them? - I would
have
thought remove them, otherwise might there be a risk of either feeding back
a voltage into the Avocent (which I guess would happen if I connected the
PSU to the "wrong" side of diode 1N4003?) or might I cause
grounding
problems by having two isolated GND's connected to the circuit? But I'm not
sure if (or how) serial data will flow if *only* the RXD pin is connected
the Avocent? - wouldn't this require a reference to the RS232 port ground
from the Avocent to determine high & low states?

So would the answer be to place an external PSU between the DTR & GND
lines
of the circuit, disconnect the DTR line between the 3145 & the Avocent
(easy
enough by removing the pin form the modular DB9-RJ45 adapter), but to leave
the GND line connected to provide a reference?

Or am I just talking nonsense? (wouldn't be the first time!)

TIA

Paul G.