Re: Electronics question

Butcher a USB cable and use the Red and Black wires (double check with
a meter). Red to the output of the 7805
(bypassing it) and black to GND. The DTR would only be able to source a few
10s of mA so the USB will have plenty of
current (100mA min).
The 7805 was only necessary because a standard RS232 should produce upto
12V.
This will save on a PSU and would be the same GND.

HTH
Stephen