Re: Workarounds for remote viewing POST or BIOS activity on headless device

Several years ago I had the same problem with my security PC that
runs=20
in the Garage. At the time Geovision didn't work well with RDC or other=20
remote software I used a KVM extender. It was quite expensive even for=20
this list as it was the sort of data centre only thing 5ish years ago.=20
It connects to the PC and then sends the KVM data down CAT5 (NOT via=20
TCPIP - it has to be a dedicated cable) to another box which converts it=20
back. There is the option of a local KVM connection at the PC end.

I got a Belkin OmniView CAT5 Extender F1D084 which goes into a Belkin=20
KVM switch with the other PCs on. I ran a dedicated CAT5 from garage to=20
office and have another cable for IP.

I had a very quick look on Ebay and apart from discovering one like mine=20
for a fraction of what I paid for it I wasn't that clear about which=20
model(s) were IP connections and which just CAT5 so you may have to plan=20
accordingly.

Simon
In message <h3nc32+uaok@xxxxxxx>, noughtomate=20
<balraj_jassal@xxxxxxx> writes
>=C2=A0
>
>Hi,
>
>Sorry, for the lengthy thread description, but the title says it all.
>
>I've just finished building a rack mount server which I will be keep in
my
>Node Zero under the stairs. This is headless, i.e. I do not have a
monitor
>attached to it.
>
>I have no problems access my server using RDP connection to the
>Windows based OS. However, I am still tweaking it here and there and
>occasionally need to change settings in the BIOS or need to run disk
>image restores against the system disk (which is run outside windows).
>For these scenario's I am unable to see the activity as my RDP session
is
>limited to Windows.
>
>I would imagine every server room team would have the same problems. Is
>there any known method to access a remote PC while it is in POST or
>BIOS configuration screens ?
>
>Due to confined space, the simplicity of using a regular sized monitor
is
>not an option to me. I would hope there is a software based solution
>around this.
>
>If there is no option other than to use a monitor, I would prefer
somethin=