Workarounds for remote viewing POST or BIOS activity on headless device

  • Subject: Workarounds for remote viewing POST or BIOS activity on headless device
  • From: "noughtomate" <balraj_jassal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:05:22 -0000

Hi,

Sorry, for the lengthy thread description, but the title says it all.

I've just finished building a rack mount server which I will be keep in my
Node Zero under the stairs. This is headless, i.e. I do not have a monitor
attached to it.

I have no problems access my server using RDP connection to the Windows
based OS.  However, I am still tweaking it here and there and occasionally
need to change settings in the BIOS or need to run disk image restores
against the system disk (which is run outside windows). For these
scenario's I am unable to see the activity as my RDP session is limited to
Windows.

I would imagine every server room team would have the same problems. Is
there any known method to access a remote PC while it is in POST or BIOS
configuration screens ?

Due to confined space, the simplicity of using a regular sized monitor is
not an option to me. I would hope there is a software based solution around
this.

If there is no option other than to use a monitor, I would prefer something
small (say 9") I could also use with my HTPC. I've checked out the
Samsung U70 (see here : http://tinyurl.com/no7tjw) which looks
nice and is cheap, but looks like it'll only work from within Windows as
it's data source is entirely via USB.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks