Re: [OT] Mac Vs Window (was [OT] 'kin Windows!)

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Mac Vs Window (was [OT] 'kin Windows!)
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 20:52:30 -0000

Okay but what does that have to do with the OS? Your list is
applications.

Before I get flamed in return I have spent the last ten years or so in IT.
=
I started off with working with Macs and PCs, overall the Macs were
better.=
You could link a Macbook to a Mac and see data without any effort, you cou=
ld hold the shift and boot without extensions, you could boot from the OS
C=
D to resolve problems. However, downside was memory managment was awful,
yo=
u had to find a specific CD for both the OS and hardware for it to work.

I'd go back to an Apple today but I am forced to buy over-priced hardware.
=
I can't virtualise the OS to try before I buy. The experience with the my
i=
Pod Touch 1st Generation being "forced" to use iTunes and only
allowed to u=
se software Apple agree with is incredibly draconian in my view.

Windows biggest success is also its biggest failure, the shear diversity
of=
the the applications and hardware is both both a benefit and failure.

To me no-one OS ticks all the boxes and I guess that is why we argue over
w=
hich we consider better than the other. I run mainly Windows OS but that
is=
my job, I have Linux distros installed on VMWare so I can play and try the=
m out as well as a NAS. I'd run MacOS but Apple have decided I am not
allow=
ed.

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Jamie Bennett <jamie.bennett@...> wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2009, at 19:28, Paul Bendall wrote:
> > Apple has it relatively easy they control the hardware and boy
do=20=20
> > you pay for it.
> >
>=20
> For me that is a misconception that a lot share. Lets get this=20=20
> straight up front, I'm a Linux guy (as can be seen from my website and
=
=20
> own company - http://www.linuxuk.org) and I'm pretty
technical (I'm a =
=20
> Senior Software Developer) but I got a Mac a few months back and
it=20=20
> has been the best purchase I ever made.
>=20
> I went for the new 24" iMac (got it on day of release) and I love
it. =
=20
> Yes it cost around =A31200 but for that I not only got a 24" all
in one =
=20
> computer with a reasonable spec, I also got a lot of top quality=20=20
> software in the form of iLife among other things. Yes its not
cheap=20=20
> but you do get what you pay for in my experience.
>=20
> I have five computers around the house, two desktops, one with Linux,
=
=20
> one with Vista, a Viglen MPC-L server running Linux, a laptop running
=
=20
> Linux and an iMac. The Mac is by far the nicest to use, the easiest to
=
=20
> use and the one that I couldn't do without. Everything from
using=20=20
> iMovie for my home video editing, Kinemac for animating, XCode
for=20=20
> development, iCal and Mail and everything in between has 'just=20=20
> worked'. I would gladly pay the bit extra for the time and effort
it=20=20
> has saved me (and this comes from the former lead developer on a tool
=
=20
> to build whole Linux distributions using just XML profiles so I'm not
=
=20
> adverse to a bit of effort- http://www.linuxfromscratch.org).
>=20
> So would I buy anything other than a Mac for my main machine again,
NO!