Re: Re: [OT] Mac Vs Window (was [OT] 'kin Windows!)

I run OS X on an Acer Aspire 3690 - that's a Celeron M!! It's also a=20=20
sub =A3300 machine.  Everything bar the card reader and camera work=20=20
perfectly (both use some weird chipset that's only supported under=20=20
winders). I used to dual boot Linux/OSX but have moved to just OS X.=20=20
I've been doing this for a long time and it's my 'everyday' machine=20=20
not just some thing I play with every now and then.

I'll admit, once we've got the new house I *will* be getting a real=20=20
macbook.

There are some annoyances though. The target market doesn't really=20=20
seem to be techies and often it can be frustrating trying to find the=20=20
real detail of what's going on.  One of the things I still haven't=20=20
found is a keyboard shortcut for things like OK and Cancel buttons,=20=20
you can't use the arrow keys to select the 'active' button and then=20=20
hit return - There probably is some short cut, but I haven't found it=20=20
and it hasn't been that intuitive.

The additional applications, (other than iphoto, mail and ical),
don't=20=20
really interest me. I don't see them as extra value - I don't use them.

The trouble is Apple suck you in slowly then one day you find you're=20=20
locked in to their way of doing things. It's a slippery slope -
iPhone=20=20
and macbook are just the start...

Andy

On 6 Jul 2009, at 21:52, Paul Bendall wrote:

> Okay but what does that have to do with the OS? Your list is=20=20
> applications.
>
> Before I get flamed in return I have spent the last ten years or
so=20=20
> in IT. I started off with working with Macs and PCs, overall the=20=20
> Macs were better. You could link a Macbook to a Mac and see data=20=20
> without any effort, you could hold the shift and boot without=20=20
> extensions, you could boot from the OS CD to resolve problems.=20=20
> However, downside was memory managment was awful, you had to find
a=20=20
> specific CD for both the OS and hardware for it to work.
>
> I'd go back to an Apple today but I am forced to buy over-priced=20=20
> hardware. I can't virtualise the OS to try before I buy. The=20=20
> experience with the my iPod Touch 1st Generation being
"forced" to=20=20
> use iTunes and only allowed to use software Apple agree with is=20=20
> incredibly draconian in my view.
>
> Windows biggest success is also its biggest failure, the shear=20=20
> diversity of the the applications and hardware is both both a=20=20
> benefit and failure.
>
> To me no-one OS ticks all the boxes and I guess that is why we
argue=20=20
> over which we consider better than the other. I run mainly
Windows=20=20
> OS but that is my job, I have Linux distros installed on VMWare so
I=20=20
> can play and try them out as well as a NAS. I'd run MacOS but
Apple=20=20
> have decided I am not allowed.
>
> Paul
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Jamie Bennett <jamie.bennett@...>=20=20
> wrote:
>>
>> On 6 Jul 2009, at 19:28, Paul Bendall wrote:
>>> Apple has it relatively easy they control the hardware and boy
do
>>> you pay for it.
>>>

>> For me that is a misconception that a lot share. Lets get this
>> straight up front, I'm a Linux guy (as can be seen from my
website=20=20
>> and
>> own company - http://www.linuxuk.org) and I'm pretty
technical (I'm a
>> Senior Software Developer) but I got a Mac a few months back and
it
>> has been the best purchase I ever made.
>>
>> I went for the new 24" iMac (got it on day of release) and I
love it.
>> Yes it cost around =A31200 but for that I not only got a 24"
all in one
>> computer with a reasonable spec, I also got a lot of top quality
>> software in the form of iLife among other things. Yes its not
cheap
>> but you do get what you pay for in my experience.
>>
>> I have five computers around the house, two desktops, one with
Linux,
>> one with Vista, a Viglen MPC-L server running Linux, a laptop
running
>> Linux and an iMac. The Mac is by far the nicest to use, the
easiest=20=20
>> use and the one that I couldn't do without. Everything from using
>> iMovie for my home video editing, Kinemac for animating, XCode for
>> development, iCal and Mail and everything in between has 'just
>> worked'. I would gladly pay the bit extra for the time and effort
it
>> has saved me (and this comes from the former lead developer on a
tool
>> to build whole Linux distributions using just XML profiles so I'm
not
>> adverse to a bit of effort- http://www.linuxfromscratch.org).
>>
>> So would I buy anything other than a Mac for my main machine
again,=20=20
>> NO!
>>
>> (let the flaming begin).
>>> Paul