Re: Re: Extending USB over Cat5

Thanks Adam,

Yes, I've seen a few commercial ones, I'll give the DIY route a try
first. I thinkt he receiver was suffering from either interference or
signal obstruction when in the cupboard - just need to find a discrete
place to hide it now and ideally in a back box/patress.

Cheers,

Tim.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Adam Walker <adamwalkerinuk@xxxxxxx>
wro=
te:
> You probably need something like this
>
> http://www.vpi.us/usbc5.html
>
> Did have links to a few but there on my old work pc
> They are made to work up to 150 metres, i was after one for control of
> DSLR from further than 3metres
>
> Good luck
>
> Adam
>
> 2009/1/22 bruce33sw <watson2@xxxxxxx>
>
>>   Hi Tim,
>>
>> Just my experience - a long time ago I tried USB over CAT5
directly
>> before I knew anything about it, but it really didn't work over
any
>> length over around 5m. All I did was slice a usb cable in two and
>> solder each end directly on to a cat5 ensuring power/gnd went down
one
>> pair (orange) and D+,D-(?) down another (green). Maybe worth a go?
>> Unfortunately http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_cables
doesn't
>> sound too hopeful on it.
>>
>> Then, years later I got a couple pairs of cheap USB<->CAT5
extenders
>> off ebay for around =A39 a pair from HK. The only thing I've
noticed is
>> that they seem to be sensitive to mains on/off switching, causing
>> disconnects and reconnects now and again. Perhaps shielded cable
would
>> have helped. I did have them going through 2 patch panels as well.
>>
>> Obviously, I had to open them up but the chips had their labels
>> scrubbed off :-(.
>>
>> If you don't get your parabolic tinfoil dishes sorted out, then I
>> could be persuaded to post the unused USB<->CAT5 pair.
>>
>> Cheers, Bruce.
>>
>> PS the other thing that comes to mind is splitting open the
receiver
>> and seeing whether it can be divided in two, i.e. cat 5 between
the RF
>> receiver and the USB part?? Might not be possible, just a thought.
>>

>> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>, Tim Hawes
>> <timsyahoo@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've got an RF keyboard (CPC p/n CS11987) that I want to use
in the
>> > lounge with the PC upstairs in my new wiring closet.
Different bits of
>> > documentation state ranges of 3, 4 & 5m although what I
actually get
>> > is closer to 1.5m :-(
>> > I've got enough Cat5 installed to be able to move the
receiver closer