Re: Extending USB over Cat5

  • Subject: Re: Extending USB over Cat5
  • From: "bruce33sw" <watson2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:45:14 -0000

Hi Tim,

Just my experience - a long time ago I tried USB over CAT5 directly
before I knew anything about it, but it really didn't work over any
length over around 5m. All I did was slice a usb cable in two and
solder each end directly on to a cat5 ensuring power/gnd went down one
pair (orange) and D+,D-(?) down another (green). Maybe worth a go?
Unfortunately http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_cables
doesn't
sound too hopeful on it.

Then, years later I got a couple pairs of cheap USB<->CAT5 extenders
off ebay for around =A39 a pair from HK. The only thing I've noticed is
that they seem to be sensitive to mains on/off switching, causing
disconnects and reconnects now and again. Perhaps shielded cable would
have helped. I did have them going through 2 patch panels as well.

Obviously, I had to open them up but the chips had their labels
scrubbed off :-(.

If you don't get your parabolic tinfoil dishes sorted out, then I
could be persuaded to post the unused USB<->CAT5 pair.

Cheers, Bruce.

PS the other thing that comes to mind is splitting open the receiver
and seeing whether it can be divided in two, i.e. cat 5 between the RF
receiver and the USB part?? Might not be possible, just a thought.