Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: Re: Extending USB over Cat5

You probably need something like this

http://www.vpi.us/usbc5.html

Did have links to a few but there on my old work pc
They are made to work up to 150 metres, i was after one for control of a
DSLR from further than 3metres

Good luck

Adam

2009/1/22 bruce33sw <watson2@xxxxxxx>

>   Hi Tim,
>
> Just my experience - a long time ago I tried USB over CAT5 directly
> before I knew anything about it, but it really didn't work over any
> length over around 5m. All I did was slice a usb cable in two and
> solder each end directly on to a cat5 ensuring power/gnd went down one
> pair (orange) and D+,D-(?) down another (green). Maybe worth a go?
> Unfortunately http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_cables
doesn't
> sound too hopeful on it.
>
> Then, years later I got a couple pairs of cheap USB<->CAT5
extenders
> off ebay for around =A39 a pair from HK. The only thing I've noticed
is
> that they seem to be sensitive to mains on/off switching, causing
> disconnects and reconnects now and again. Perhaps shielded cable would
> have helped. I did have them going through 2 patch panels as well.
>
> Obviously, I had to open them up but the chips had their labels
> scrubbed off :-(.
>
> If you don't get your parabolic tinfoil dishes sorted out, then I
> could be persuaded to post the unused USB<->CAT5 pair.
>
> Cheers, Bruce.
>
> PS the other thing that comes to mind is splitting open the receiver
> and seeing whether it can be divided in two, i.e. cat 5 between the RF
> receiver and the USB part?? Might not be possible, just a thought.
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>, Tim Hawes
> <timsyahoo@...> wrote:
> >
> > I've got an RF keyboard (CPC p/n CS11987) that I want to use in
the
> > lounge with the PC upstairs in my new wiring closet. Different
bits of
> > documentation state ranges of 3, 4 & 5m although what I
actually get
> > is closer to 1.5m :-(
> > I've got enough Cat5 installed to be able to move the receiver
closer
> > or even down into the lounge but I'm puzzled how to extend it.
There's