Latest message you have seen: Re: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: Re: Extending USB over Cat5

Bruce,

Yes, focussing with some sort of tin tray was my thought, along the
lines of the "chinese" WiFi extenders :-)
I did some more testing last night and if I move the receiver unit out
of the cupboard (at the PC end) then performance is much improved.
Either the other equipment in the cupboard was causing interference,
or the mass of cables under the floor was effectively screening the
receiver. Interestingly the instructions advised not bunching the USB
receiver cable with any others, perhaps there's an antenna in there?
So, a partial success but having the receiver draped across the
landing won't be popular though so I will need to relocate it
*somewhere*=85

One of the internet articles I found was this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Usb-Dongles-for-USB-over-CAT5-connection/
Which the author claims does work. Reading the comments though it
seems other's experiences are mixed=85

Unfortunately the USB receiver is about the size of a small (computer)
mouse - I'm hoping to hide it in a 47mm deep back box to ideally need
an extender that's very low profile - hence the DIY route.

Thanks for the comments and offer - I may stillt ake you up on it :-)

Cheers,

Tim.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 7:45 PM, bruce33sw <watson2@xxxxxxx> wrote=
:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Just my experience - a long time ago I tried USB over CAT5 directly
> before I knew anything about it, but it really didn't work over any
> length over around 5m. All I did was slice a usb cable in two and
> solder each end directly on to a cat5 ensuring power/gnd went down one
> pair (orange) and D+,D-(?) down another (green). Maybe worth a go?
> Unfortunately http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_cables
doesn't
> sound too hopeful on it.
>
> Then, years later I got a couple pairs of cheap USB<->CAT5
extenders
> off ebay for around =A39 a pair from HK. The only thing I've noticed
is
> that they seem to be sensitive to mains on/off switching, causing
> disconnects and reconnects now and again. Perhaps shielded cable would
> have helped. I did have them going through 2 patch panels as well.
>
> Obviously, I had to open them up but the chips had their labels
> scrubbed off :-(.
>
> If you don't get your parabolic tinfoil dishes sorted out, then I
> could be persuaded to post the unused USB<->CAT5 pair.
>
> Cheers, Bruce.
>
> PS the other thing that comes to mind is splitting open the receiver
> and seeing whether it can be divided in two, i.e. cat 5 between the RF
> receiver and the USB part?? Might not be possible, just a thought.
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@...> wrote:
>>
>> I've got an RF keyboard (CPC p/n CS11987) that I want to use in
the
>> lounge with the PC upstairs in my new wiring closet. Different
bits of
>> documentation state ranges of 3, 4 & 5m although what I
actually get
>> is closer to 1.5m :-(
>> I've got enough Cat5 installed to be able to move the receiver
closer
>> or even down into the lounge but I'm puzzled how to extend it.
There's
>> a few suggestions on the web but has anyone here actually done it?
I'd