Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: 24 Port RM Gigabit Switches

  • Subject: Re: 24 Port RM Gigabit Switches
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:20:44 -0000

Something else to consider is noise and power consumption. I have a=20
managed Linksys 24 port gigabit switch and it is noisey and draws=20
around 50W which is about twice as much as my Mini-ITX server. Even=20
though it is managed it is only manageable through a web page rather=20
than SSH or Telnet. I don't therefore have an option to power it off=20
cleanly.

Paul=20

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <lists@...> wrote:

> Looking to udate my home LAN to gigabit.  There are unbranded=20
(unmanaged)
> switches like this available at under =A3100...
>=20
> http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=3DNH-24GB-R&af=3D50
> http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3D529T
>=20
> Or
>=20
> Branded, (managed) like this at over =A3200...
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-GS724T-Gigabit-Smart-
Switch/dp/B00022V2C6