Alternatives to Sonos?

  • Subject: Alternatives to Sonos?
  • From: Rob Iles <rob.iles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 04:16:55 +0000

Hello Everyone,

I've read the recent Sonos thread - great info in there. Sounds like a very
good product.

However, IMHO, it's rather expensive. (I'm sure it's worth the money - and
in an ideal world, I'd go for it).

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

Doesn't need to be Plug and Play - happy to build from scratch if need be.

Requirements:

#1 All media (mp3/AAC/WMP) located on Vista Media Centre PC.
#2 Ability to play music in ~ 15 "zones".
#3 Ability to play different music in different zones (simultaneously)
#4 Be controlled by IP or through a serial port. Spec needs to be
documented
so that I can write software to interface it with the HA software (Harmony
2007)
#5 AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE!

In UKHA tradition, the cheaper the better. I realise that audiophiles will
be aghast...but, the primary zone - living room, already has a reasonably
good 5.1 surround sound system (Sony STRDB940 - yes, it's old, but it still
works well enough for me) (Incidentally, anyone know how to control this by
means other than IR / have a list of IR codes for it?).  Bedroom zones will
generally be used for alarm clock duties, but some "easy
listening" will
take place too. Bath-Zone will be ...how to put this
delicately....."sufficient" for one to continue listening to
TV/Radio when
answering a call of nature/taking a shower. Stereo will be adequate in all
but the living room - but that's already taken care of bith the surround
sound tuner).

Any ideas, ladies and gentlemen?

Last but not least - a cheeky/optimistic request - - Do any of you have a
basic Sonos "Unit" (whatever the bare minimum is) that I could
borrow / rent
for a short while? I don't know what the "basic unit" would be -
I'm
guessing a ZP90/120 + Bridge would work - correct? Just enough for me to
write some code to control it over IP (assuming this is possible)  More
than
happy to pay a deposit on it; or if you're looking to sell "the
basics"
cheap, cosmetic condition isn't important - I just need a "box"
to test
with. I'm based in Oxford, work in Bucks (Worminghall) - able to collect if
you're close by, or pay carriage costs.

Thanks for reading,

Rob

--