Re: Alternatives to Sonos?

On 9 Feb 2009, at 04:16, Rob Iles wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've read the recent Sonos thread - great info in there. Sounds like
> a very
> good product.
>
> However, IMHO, it's rather expensive. (I'm sure it's worth the money
> - and
> in an ideal world, I'd go for it).
>
> Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?
>
> Doesn't need to be Plug and Play - happy to build from scratch if
> need be.
>
> Requirements:
>
> #1 All media (mp3/AAC/WMP) located on Vista Media Centre PC.
> #2 Ability to play music in ~ 15 "zones".
> #3 Ability to play different music in different zones (simultaneously)
> #4 Be controlled by IP or through a serial port. Spec needs to be
> documented
> so that I can write software to interface it with the HA software
> (Harmony
> 2007)
> #5 AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE!
>
> In UKHA tradition, the cheaper the better. I realise that
> audiophiles will
> be aghast...but, the primary zone - living room, already has a
> reasonably
> good 5.1 surround sound system (Sony STRDB940 - yes, it's old, but
> it still
> works well enough for me) (Incidentally, anyone know how to control
> this by
> means other than IR / have a list of IR codes for it?). Bedroom
> zones will
> generally be used for alarm clock duties, but some "easy
listening"
> will
> take place too. Bath-Zone will be ...how to put this
> delicately....."sufficient" for one to continue listening to
TV/
> Radio when
> answering a call of nature/taking a shower. Stereo will be adequate
> in all
> but the living room - but that's already taken care of bith the
> surround
> sound tuner).
>
> Any ideas, ladies and gentlemen?

I came up with 3 options

1) Slimserver + 15 DDAR (Rio receiver running slim rio) + ipod touch /
iphones running ipeng

You don't need to see the DDAR/Rio's  - which isn't a bad thing.

2) 15 x xbox (classics) running xbmc + ipod touch/iphone running xbmc
remote

3) 15 x small headless pc running xbmc + ipod touch/ iphone  running
xbmc remote

I don't know why they're all using iphone/ipod touch as the
controller, I'm just lazy :) - you could use any sort of web browser
to control xbmc but xbmc remote is much friendlier imho,

I use option 1 (x4), but I also have option 2 (x1) for the living
room. Of course if there's a harmony remote that can do webish stuff
then that might do too.. :D

---

Andy Powell / ScaredyCat / FuzzyCat

Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScaredyCat