Re: Alternatives to Sonos?

How about a Squeezebox ?

You do need to install some software on the server, you get to control all
of the attached devices via a webpage as well as from each device, or
multiple devices from the controller you can buy.

Supports a wide range of audio formats, can work over wireless or wired
connections and there are loads of extras you can add on. Can also download
free player software to run on a Pc if you want to.

The server software is free, its all open source,  there are loads of user
supplied skins, and other addons, and I think it supports various internet
radio out of the box and might be an addon to do BBC listen again. No idea
how well the protocol to the box is documented, best place to check would
be
the official forums, but with the number of user supplied extras, I'm
guessing there is quite a bit available.

We currently have a Classic and a Boombox, the sound from the Boombox is
excellent and can go rather loud, especially for such a small device.
Julie
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 04:16, Rob Iles <rob.iles@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've read the recent Sonos thread - great info in there. Sounds like a
very
> good product.
>
> However, IMHO, it's rather expensive. (I'm sure it's worth the money -
and
> in an ideal world, I'd go for it).
>
> Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?
>
> Doesn't need to be Plug and Play - happy to build from scratch if need
be.

> Requirements:
>
> #1 All media (mp3/AAC/WMP) located on Vista Media Centre PC.
> #2 Ability to play music in ~ 15 "zones".
> #3 Ability to play different music in different zones (simultaneously)
> #4 Be controlled by IP or through a serial port. Spec needs to be
> documented
> so that I can write software to interface it with the HA software
(Harmony
> 2007)
> #5 AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE!
>
> In UKHA tradition, the cheaper the better. I realise that audiophiles
will
> be aghast...but, the primary zone - living room, already has a
reasonably
> good 5.1 surround sound system (Sony STRDB940 - yes, it's old, but it
still
> works well enough for me) (Incidentally, anyone know how to control
this by
> means other than IR / have a list of IR codes for it?).  Bedroom zones
will
> generally be used for alarm clock duties, but some "easy
listening" will
> take place too. Bath-Zone will be ...how to put this
> delicately....."sufficient" for one to continue listening to
TV/Radio when