Re: Cheap'ish Touch Screen device

  • Subject: Re: Cheap'ish Touch Screen device
  • From: "simon.wellborne" <simon.wellborne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:48:07 -0000

Hi Brian,

Your last paragraph summed it up nicely, loss of portability in exchange
for flexibility in the OS (although any Windows Mobile/CE Dev might argue
to the contrary!).

I've got less than dainty digits, but find the Mimo touch resolution to be
good.  I've had no reason to question it's sensitivity, although it is the
only touchscreen I've ever owned, so I'm lacking in any comparative
judgement.

I also use the Mimo to host the Outlook reminders dialog and find no
problem acknowledging reminders etc.

My plan is to run USB to various wall positions during the next build so I
can pick and choose where to mount the Mimo.  The mount on the Mimo should
allow for many options and flexibility which is good.

If you're ever in NZ please feel free to pop in for a hands on
demonstration :-)

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, <briview@...> wrote:

> Hi Simon
>
> Thanks for the feedback - It's very useful.  I did actually buy the
Maplin unit yesterday with the assumption I can take it back if it doesn't
work out to be want I want.

> Having spent a couple of hours playing with it I have to say the jury
is still out.  It looks attractive (the wall mounting might resort to
velcro but I could play with that once I have a PoC underway), the touch
screen is sensitive and a good size.

> The issue I have is on the wireless networking.  I have two access
points (one upstairs and one downstairs) and it only appears to work with
one of them.  I have turned the security off and still nothing.  It finds
the SID but won't connect to it.  This is fundamental for it's use and
whilst I could change the access point, it all adds to the cost.

> Hence I'm wandering if the Mimo might be a good bet.  It's almost
double the cost and losing the portability of the wireless (once it works)
would be a shame, there is the definite benefit of the Mimo in turns of
resolution, performance of the host and openness of the OS.  I have read
reports that the touch screen isn't that sensitive on the Mimos.  What is
your experience here?

> Thanks
>
> Brian
>

> ---- "simon.wellborne" <simon.wellborne@...> wrote:
> > I can't speak for the Maplin, but about a year ago I purchased a
Mimo 740 http://www.mimomonitors.com/ which
has now been superseded by the Imo Pivot.

> > These USB monitors have built in webcam, ports for speakers and
mic, completely USB powered, can operate as primary or secondary/tertiary
displays, Windows 7 compatible . . . . and the list goes on (I'm not a Mimo
salesman really).

> > At present I just have a series of Windows 7 whidgets displayed
on the display.  The intention is to mount the display on a wall away from
the PC and utilise it for system status, weather, kids chore list etc :-).

> > They really are the ducks nuts (IMHO) because of their size,
although if you want larger then there is the Dell 21.5" multi
touchscreen.

> > Go buy one, you won't be disappointed.
> >
> > I guess the benefit of the Maplin, is that is totally self
contained (no need for the PC) but I can't see how you'd mount it without
fabricating your own bracket.  Definitely has some cool factor about it
tho!

wrote:

> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > Just spotted this touch screen device from Maplin on the
HotUKDeals site.

> > > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=286831
> > >
> > > I thought it might have some HA uses as I'm still after
something to report weather, room temps, and X10 switch status etc.  Does
anyone have a view on how this could be used compared with a USB based
touch screen?

> > > I'm reasonable happy that I could write some web pages to
display but I'm not a web developer so I'd probably have to make use of
some pretty crude refresh type mechanisms to update the page(s).  Where as
with a USB screen I could run any PC based app.