Re: Re: Cheap'ish Touch Screen device

  • Subject: Re: Re: Cheap'ish Touch Screen device
  • From: <briview@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:45:42 +0000

Hi Simon

Thanks for the feedback - It's very useful.  I did actually buy the Maplin
unit yesterday with the assumption I can take it back if it doesn't work
out to be want I want.

Having spent a couple of hours playing with it I have to say the jury is
still out.  It looks attractive (the wall mounting might resort to velcro
but I could play with that once I have a PoC underway), the touch screen is
sensitive and a good size.

The issue I have is on the wireless networking.  I have two access points
(one upstairs and one downstairs) and it only appears to work with one of
them.  I have turned the security off and still nothing.  It finds the SID
but won't connect to it.  This is fundamental for it's use and whilst I
could change the access point, it all adds to the cost.

Hence I'm wandering if the Mimo might be a good bet.  It's almost double
the cost and losing the portability of the wireless (once it works) would
be a shame, there is the definite benefit of the Mimo in turns of
resolution, performance of the host and openness of the OS.  I have read
reports that the touch screen isn't that sensitive on the Mimos.  What is
your experience here?

Thanks

Brian

---- "simon.wellborne" <simon.wellborne@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can't speak for the Maplin, but about a year ago I purchased a Mimo
740 http://www.mimomonitors.com/ which
has now been superseded by the Imo Pivot.

> These USB monitors have built in webcam, ports for speakers and mic,
completely USB powered, can operate as primary or secondary/tertiary
displays, Windows 7 compatible . . . . and the list goes on (I'm not a Mimo
salesman really).

> At present I just have a series of Windows 7 whidgets displayed on the
display.  The intention is to mount the display on a wall away from the PC
and utilise it for system status, weather, kids chore list etc :-).

> They really are the ducks nuts (IMHO) because of their size, although
if you want larger then there is the Dell 21.5" multi touchscreen.

> Go buy one, you won't be disappointed.
>
> I guess the benefit of the Maplin, is that is totally self contained
(no need for the PC) but I can't see how you'd mount it without fabricating
your own bracket.  Definitely has some cool factor about it tho!

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "briview" <briview@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > Just spotted this touch screen device from Maplin on the
HotUKDeals site.

> > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=286831
> >
> > I thought it might have some HA uses as I'm still after something
to report weather, room temps, and X10 switch status etc.  Does anyone have
a view on how this could be used compared with a USB based touch screen?

> > I'm reasonable happy that I could write some web pages to display
but I'm not a web developer so I'd probably have to make use of some pretty
crude refresh type mechanisms to update the page(s).  Where as with a USB
screen I could run any PC based app.