Re: Basic questions about "video streaming"

  • Subject: Re: Basic questions about "video streaming"
  • From: "paul_watkin" <paul.watkin33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 00:20:57 -0000

Hi Neil,

I can only briefly comment on the questions as I am not sure how to
impleme=
nt this myself, so will be reading this thread with interest to see what
pe=
ople suggest.

Where I am at currently is that I have ripped my DVD collection using
AnyDV=
D, the files are deposited on a Windows Home Server using My Movies for
WHS=
to mamange them (Any DVD can be integrated into WHS and you can rip direct=
ly to the server storage) and with the My Movies add in for Vista Media
Cen=
ter everything is working really well on a Mac Mini attached to my lounge
T=
V.

The DVD's seem to be coming out at about 5Gig each currently - I am not
com=
pressing or editing the content just making a straight copy of the disc
(VO=
B Files) so I am sure with some playing the AnyDVD software could make
them=
smaller.

Where I am struggling is that I now want to access the movies from the
bedr=
oom TV and like you am wondering what device would be best - I don't need
a=
pc upsatirs and can't justify =A3500 on another Mac for the ocassional mov=
ie. The problem is I haven't found anything that can play back VOB files
am=
ongst all of the media center extenders they all seem to want the DVD to
ha=
ve been stored in Divx or AVI formats, hopefully someone can prove me
wrong=
here.

So as to what file type to use I guess it depends how you are going to
acce=
ss them.

Apologies for not moving you forward with some concrete answers but look
fo=
rward to hearing what solutions are out there from our more advanced AV
use=
rs

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Neil Fuller <neil.fuller@...> wrote:

> Right, I've had enough!!!
>=20
> The kids have put the DVDs back in the wrong cases, when they bother
to=20
> do so!
>=20
> I've got several trashed discs from being chucked "bare" in
to the=20
> cupboard, and worst of all, they start having tantrums when they
can't=20
> find the DVD they "misfiled"!!
>=20
> So, I want to start ripping DVDs and streaming them, keeping the=20
> original discs safe and away from jam!
>=20
> I know this is pretty basic stuff for many here but having googled,
I'm=20
> confused.
>=20
> There seems to be a plethora of ripping and streaming software out
there=
=20
> so I thought I'd turn to the collective authority of UKHA for your=20
> thoughts. . .
>=20
>    1. There's lots of file formats out there - Which is best (I need
>       "basic quality" rather than hi-def)
>    2. What's the best ripping software?
>    3. What's the best way to playback the ripped discs - Dedicated
>       "hardware" box (Xbox, PSP3 or purpose designed
"box") or windows