Basic questions about "video streaming"

  • Subject: Basic questions about "video streaming"
  • From: Neil Fuller <neil.fuller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 23:22:35 +0100

Right, I've had enough!!!

The kids have put the DVDs back in the wrong cases, when they bother to
do so!

I've got several trashed discs from being chucked "bare" in to
the
cupboard, and worst of all, they start having tantrums when they can't
find the DVD they "misfiled"!!

So, I want to start ripping DVDs and streaming them, keeping the
original discs safe and away from jam!

I know this is pretty basic stuff for many here but having googled, I'm
confused.

There seems to be a plethora of ripping and streaming software out there
so I thought I'd turn to the collective authority of UKHA for your
thoughts. . .

1. There's lots of file formats out there - Which is best (I need
"basic quality" rather than hi-def)
2. What's the best ripping software?
3. What's the best way to playback the ripped discs - Dedicated
"hardware" box (Xbox, PSP3 or purpose designed "box")
or windows
PC (I know nothing about Linux so please don't point me in that
direction) and suitable video card/application?
4. On average, how big (in GB) is an average ripped DVD? I've got
about 1TB spare on my NAS so how many DVDs will it hold?

At the moment, I don't need to stream to multiple places - Just to the
living room TV

Any other pointers that I've missed?

TIA

Neil