Re: Mobo Recommendations

  • Subject: Re: Mobo Recommendations
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:56:20 -0000

Bit late to the thread I know. I may have written about this before
but I have two computers one small a frugal (Mini-ITX 1.5GHz using 27W) and
a second monster (Abit IX48 GT3, Intel Core2 Quad 2.5GHz, 4 GB RAM DDR3,
LSI MegaRAID SAS 8204ELP with 4 x 1TB WD Green HDD in a RAID 5 set)
downside is it consumes around 120-150W.

Now I know the monster may not meet the requirements of inexpensive but it
possibly gives a different view. The Mini is on 24x7 whilst the Monster is
setup for WoL and is mainly controlled through Squeezecenter plugin
SVRPowerControl which means I can turn it on and off through the Squeezebox
remotes or iPeng Add-in on my iPod Touch.

The monster is in a very short 3U rackmount case that fits in my wall
cabinet. I also bought an Icy Dock to host 3 drives and hard fixed another
two in the chasis (one is the final disk in the RAID-5 the other runs the
OS). The OS is Vista Ultimate 64bit and I've also installed VMWare Server
(which is free) and have a Windows XP client (mainly for work RAS access)
and a Windows 2008 domain controller that replicates with my Mini server
and provides DR.

I'm now turning my attention back to my Mini as I'd like to upgrade it to a
64bit OS and run Exchange 2007 as my mail server. At the moment I'm
thinking about a Via Nano processor and a power efficient Adaptec RAID
controller that allows disk spindown and replace my current QNAP NAS device
for 24x7 homeshare access, i.e:

Jetway JNF77 VIA NANO 1GHz Mini-ITX Mainboard - Fanless
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12407

Travla TB-1160
http://www.travla.com/product_d.php?id=0000000022

Paul