RE: Re: Basic questions about "video streaming"

> The DVD's seem to be coming out at about 5Gig each currently - I am
not
> compressing or editing the content just making a straight copy of the
> disc (VOB Files) so I am sure with some playing the AnyDVD software
> could make them smaller.

AnyDVD just removes the protection - you need to be using CloneDVD to start
either removing unwanted bits (extras, menus, audio tracks etc.) or
recompressing.

Wait till you start ripping Blu-Ray movies - I'm those suckers are coming
out at close on 600Gb for 13 movies (so roughly 40Gb each)... :-D
=20
> Where I am struggling is that I now want to access the movies from the
> bedroom TV and like you am wondering what device would be best - I
> don't need a pc upsatirs and can't justify =A3500 on another Mac for
the
> ocassional movie. The problem is I haven't found anything that can
play
> back VOB files amongst all of the media center extenders they all seem
> to want the DVD to have been stored in Divx or AVI formats, hopefully
> someone can prove me wrong here.

The problem with the proper "Media Center Extenders" is because
they're
having to be vetted by MS they tend to be produced by companies that don't
bend the rules ... the "Media Tanks" tend to be a bit more
relaxed and
usually *DO* play VIDEO_TS folder structures and ISO images without needing
stuff transcoded over into other formats.

Phil