Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

  • Subject: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:24:09 -0000

Wow top response!! Cheers,=20

Agree re cost per button but I'm thinking that a 6 button switch is a
little wasted on the landing! Until I look into what else the buttons
can do anyway!

Have just read up on the pac so I understand now, that connects to the
pc for you to write the program and jobs a goodun.

Re providing the ring main power connection, I assumed that the dimmer
units power supply would need a hefty power connection, again assuming
one power connection powers the whole dimmer pack.  So whilst I could
pull from the ring main for the dimmer unit, wouldn't that be
overloading the one connection if I connected four channels to it?

As I write this I'm thinking back to my electrical house wiring
knowledge and thinking no of course it wouldn't as the upstairs
lighting ring main is exactly that, one ring that powers all lights,
so if I've got that correct then there'd be no problem in the ring
main being the power source for the dimmers?

Thanks again, thats really helped!!=20=20

Is anyone using cbus for garden lighting? It'd be interesting to know
what others have done, and also what else do people use the
buttons/switches for, including on the DLT's, i believe I've heard
people mention sonos but definitely be interested to learn more.

Cheers

Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul@...> wrote:

>=20
>=20
Behalf Of
> > noel_pilot
> > Sent: 29 September 2008 19:45
> > To: UKHA Group
> > Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting
system....1
> > room only though!!
> > From a very old cbus catalogue I had it seemed to show a two
button
> > saturn switch, I assume the less buttons the cheaper they are?
> >=20
>=20
> Yes, - but not massively, the higher button count models are better
value in terms of price per button...
>=20
>=20
> > Paul's right, I wasn't actually planning for individual control
of any
> > of the downlights to be honest, more likely to be keeping the
spare
> > channels for doing one of the bedrooms, how are the channels
rated
> > again?! my memory is shocking!!  I assume there's a power or
current
> > limit that then converts into the max power per channel for total
of
> > bulbs??
> >=20
>=20
> The dimmer module that would probably be the best fit for you, (the
L5504D2A) is rated for 2A per channel, i.e. good for about 480 Watts
of lighting, or max 80W per bulb if you have 6 fittings. - That's
maximum of course, and I presume you'd probably have no more than 6 x
50W fittings at most (that will be pretty bright in a small bathroom!)
which, at 300W is well within the rated capacity of 1 channel.
>=20
>=20
> > So a pac is the thing to do the programming?! Is that the one
that
> > links to a network and I can then program from a pc (or mac???)
then
> > the dimmer is the main power pack obviously that I need to run a
beefy
> > mains cable too (sorry have run not run myself!!) the rest is
obvious!!
> > Is the pac required once the system is setup? Assuming I resisted
the
> > HA urge to tinker?!?
> >
>=20
> Yes, the L5504D2A mentioned above includes a CBUS power supply, and
will provide the power to the CBUS network. The PAC doesn't (from
memory) have a network interface, - I think you're thinking of the
E5500CN computer network interface, which you would need if you wanted
to connect the toolkit commissioning software to the CBUS network over
your LAN (including remotely over the 'net). - However, the
considerably cheaper 5500PC Interface (PCI) can do exactly the same
job via a serial connection to the PC. These two modules are not the
same as the PAC, - those are primarily for doing the initial
commissioning programming of the modules, and do not include the logic
engine which you need for doing the smart "if/then" type
conditional
capable of operating the same way as the PCI, so in essence the PAC is
the only module you'd need for both commissioning & intelligent logic,
>provided< you don't need the LAN connectivity... The PAC can't be
both a PCI and a logic engine at the same time, - when being used as a
PCI for commissioning CBUS modules etc. it temporarily stops running
the logic engine, so your fancy programmed responses don't run when
you have it in this mode. Fortunately, you only need to use it for
commissioning infrequently - like when you add new modules to the
network for instance, so most of the time it can be left sitting there
doing its logic functions, and it *IS* required to be running the
logic engine 24/7 in order for its programming to be active. It also
contains the realtime clock so that you can have timed responses etc.
>=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> >=20
> > Next question, my consumer unit is in the kitchen, adjacent to an
> > external wall to the front of the house.  I'll need a high
capacity
> > cable to the loft to the dimmer pack.....can these be run
externally
> > i.e. up the outside wall of the house or must they be run
internally??
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
> I am not an electrician!... However, there most certainly are
external mains cables available... would you actually need to do that
though? - I would have thought that you'd have plenty of access to the
upstairs lighting ring from within the loft... It should be a fairly
simple matter to rewire the bathroom lights & switch entirely from the
loft space? - that is what I did in my installation.
wrote:

> > > Hi Noel,
> > >

> > > You could install a c-bus system for around =A31000.00 plus
labour.

> > > You would need;
> > >
> > > New B&W touch screen in logic =A3670.00
> > >
> > > 8 channel dimmer                     =A3420.00
> > >
> > > PIR                                          =A390.00
> > >
> > > 6 gang Saturn                           =A3140.00
> > >
> > > PAC                                        =A3360.00
> > >

> > > If you use the touch screen with logic, you will gain an
extra
> > switch and
> > > will not need the PAC
> > >

> > > Cost then will be =A31320.00
> > >

> > > HTH
> > >

> > > Ben Addison
> > >
> > > Ben Addison Ltd (electrical Contractors)
> > >
> > > 07889845712
> > >
> > > www.benaddison.com
> > >
> > >   _____

not
about to
> > > put in thousands of =A3's worth of lighting for such a small
house
but I
> > > would like to see what I can do at reasonable (!!) cost.
> > >
> > > I remember reading way back about someone who had a lighting
setup
> > > whereby they have occupancy detection so lights come on
automatically
> > > but with intelligence, i.e. if its 0200 only turn the
landing/bathroom
> > > lights on to 15% or so so as not to blind you in your sleepy
state!!

> > > I love this idea and would love to be able to replicate it
for this
> > > project.
> > >
> > > I can't remember who or what system that was (feel free to
pipe
up :)
> > > ) but could this be achieved through cbus alone without
requiring
> > > other systems to be on 24/7 controlling the logic?
> > >
> > > For such a small scale is there anything else out there that
could do
> > > this? all I have upstairs is two bedrooms and the bathroom,
one
> > > bedroom is for a lodger and i'm not overly fussed by
lighting
> > > automation in my room, altho motion activated lights when I
walk in
> > > would be quite cool!!
> > >
> > > I have a large loft above so could put power packs etc up
there
> > > without too many issues although I'm obviously going to need
have a
> > > new electric supply run to the loft.
> > >
> > > Being a bathroom I'm aware I'm running into Part P, am I
correct in
> > > understanding that work can be done by anyone but it has to
be
signed
> > > off by a Part P electrician?
> > >
> > > Lighting plan is for six small downlight/spots in the
ceiling, at
> > > present its just a normal bathroom, single central ceiling
light
on a
> > > string pull switch that also turns on the extractor fan.
> > >
> > > Plan to retain the fan albeit a different bezel and also add
heated
> > > mirror pads to prevent steaming of the mirror.
> > >
> > > A 'cool' switch/touchpad/screen to activate the lights
probably
> > > located outside of the bathroom would also be a bonus!!
> > >
> > > I'm in the very early thought stages of this and more posts
will I'm
> > > sure come over the coming months (I will of course take pics
when I do
> > > the job) but any thoughts re the lighting would be
greatfully
> > > appreciated at this point.
> > >
> > > For those far more experienced in cbus could anyone just
give me a
> > > guide price of what I'd need to put in the dimmer packs
needed
and say