Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

  • Subject: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:27:32 -0000

Ok...point 1 - to stop EVERYONE flaming us...But then I don't get the
cool Saturn switches!!!

lol and now onto point 2, that's an awesome idea!!  I'm guessing
(without researching) that the PIR's you refer to basically complete a
signal when movements detected and then open the circuit after a set
time period without movement, is that correct?

Thats a very clever idea and just the kinda thing I could be tempted by!

I completely agree, Cbus is complete overkill for what I want to do
with it however if I can think of some scenes/uses for the bedtoom and
think of a way to use it to control the garden lighting thats coming
next year then it might be justifiable!! (sorry spellings not right on
that!)

Will have a bit more of a think, but your idea's definitely on the list!!

Cheers

Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tim Hawes" <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> Noel,
>=20
> I'm sure a CBus solution would give great flexibility but you're
> paying a lot of "overhead" if you only do one room.
> I reckon you can do DIY the "dim night light on a sensor"
thing for
> [...]
the
> switch. The second circuit contains a time-clock (get an electronic
> one so it doesn't drift in power cuts), a PIR (some "nice"
> ceiling-mount ones around =A330-=A340) and a conventional dimmer
switch
> (conventional as in one you'd fit to a wall box but suitable for
> dimming the type of lights you have).
>=20
> Your existing switch works at all times so if you get up early to
> catch a plane etc you can still put the lights on full with the cord.
> The second circuit only works between the on/off times you set (e.g.
> midnight to 5am). When the time clock is off the PIR output doesn't go
> anywhere, when the time-clock is on the PIR switches on the lights
> through the dimmer switch which you've manually set to get the right
> light level.
>=20
> The only potential problem is that I've found PIRs always come on when
> power is first applied, then go off. So having it after the time-clock
> means the light would always come on at midnight (or whatever) when
> the clock circuit is activated. I couldn't see how keeping it powered
> 24/7 would only activate the light between set times.
>=20
> The time-clock and dimmer could go in the loft, or perhaps in the
> airing cupboard to make adjustments that bit simpler. You'd probably
> want to fit a master isolation switch in front of all the smarts too
=96
> just to make sure the auto side of the circuit doesn't unexpectedly
> become live if the clock gets out of sync. Fixed wiring time-clocks
> are also available so you don't have to wire-in a separate 13A socket
> for a plug-in jobby.
>=20
> I think that all makes sense, I don't *think* I missed anything
> obvious, but you never know :-)
>=20
> If you're feeling *really* adventurous you could drop the ceiling by
> 6", run rope light around the edge and have the rope light come
on via
> the timer/sensor during the night. Or rope light under the sink and/or
> bath.
> Or perhaps just connect one of the 6 downlighters to the auto/timer
> circuit and do away with the dimmer altogether.
>=20
> I shall now don my flameproof suit and ignore the cries of heretic!!
>=20
> HTH,
>=20
> Tim.
>=20
>=20
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM, noel_pilot <HA@...> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I remember reading way back about someone who had a lighting
setup
> > whereby they have occupancy detection so lights come on
automatically
> > but with intelligence, i.e. if its 0200 only turn the
landing/bathroom