Re: Re: XBOX Softmod - there *IS* a god, - and he effing hates me!

noel_pilot wrote:
> Is there much work involved to convert the controller cable to usb? I
> used to have the opposite of that a usb to controller cable so i could
> use the xbox controllers on the pc!  that mod sounds tempting so i
> could use normal usb sticks instead of the xbox memory cards.  there's
> a setup kindly on its way to me for loan so i can softmod this one but
> def need to get my own setup!!

It's really easy to DIY an Xbox - USB cable. What I did was to get a
normal USB extension lead and cut it in half. The colour code wiring
appears to be pretty much the same between all USB cables, and certainly
in my case the wires were the same colour in the lead as they were in
the controller cable. I just cut the cable one side of the breakout
lead, and soldered the USB socket to the xbox end, and the plug to the
controller end. This means that you can still use the controller as a
controller (by plugging the plug into the socket), the xbox plug and usb
socket as a usb adaptor and the controller and usb plug as a gamepad for
a PC. There's some 3rd party software which needs to be installed,
(can't remember the name) but it is quite handy.

You can get hold of wiring diagrams easily enough with a bit of googling.

The ready made adapters are obviously better, but as a quick fix the
above works well. Once the system is up and running I've found less need
to actually use it.

James