Re: [OT] Office X-serve vs windows standard server 2008

> We are a 45 strong office looking to expand. Currently we only
run
> Windows PCs, but we many have a couple of Macs later.

I was specing new hardware and SBS for our small office LAN (20 machines).

In the end though I moved our people onto Google apps, after having some
(UKHA_D) friends recommend it, and then reading how the Telegraph
newspaper were moving 1,400 Exchange seats onto it too.

We've had it runnng for a month now.  We're on the free version and even
this gives a 7GB mailbox for each user.  Most people are using the
webinterface - using Google Chromes save-as-app feature, one or two are
using iMAP to outlook, and I am using on Mac, PC, iPhone etc. We're using
shared calendaring too and it's great.  Only thing missing is a shared
central set of Contacts, but I've just imported our Outlook contacts into
each persons setup so we can work around that.

There are of course issues with having your email in the cloud, what if
you internet connection goes down for example (we have a Vigor 2820 with a
3G USB modem as backup).  What about backing up your email?  Privact
issues etc.

It may not be for everyonem but so far for our use its been spectacular.
And at £0.00 you can't really argue with the value.

M.