Re: [OT] Office X-serve vs windows standard server 2008

Ho-Yin

Paul is right on this. If you are buying a Service from the support=20=20
consultancy the underlying technology should not matter. If you are=20=20
able to write down simple requirements that meet the business needs=20=20
then technology does not come into it.

Very Simple Example (No basis on fact, used to illustrate the example)

MAPI based email supporting Outlook Clients
50 Users
Uptime of 99.99 08:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday
Maintenance completed out of hours with 3 days notice given
New users added within 48 hours
Users deleted within 48 hours of request being received.
=A3500 per month
If SLA is not met for 2 months running you have the right to cancel.

In this instance does it matter what the technology is? If a
teas-maid=20=20
could deliver the above then you would be happy.

Worth thinking about what the business needs. Start your thoughts there.

regards
Ben

On 17 Oct 2008, at  15:13, Ho Yin Ng wrote:

> I still care!!!
>
> It is my money!
>
> We still have to buy the products. I just want to be aware of the
> limitations if any or perhaps advantageous of one system over another.
>
> I've been duped in the past and forked out for a system that severely
> let me down.
>
> I think both provide the service we require, but surely one must be
> better or offer us something that the other cannot.
>
> Ho-Yin
>
> 2008/10/17 Paul Gordon <paul@xxxxxxx>:
> > Hmm... in that case, aren't you going be paying for
SERVICES=20=20
> rather than
> > PRODUCTS? - If it's all outsourced, do you actually care what
it=20=20
> runs on,
> > provided you stipulate your requirements to the solution
provider,=20=20
> and they
> > meet them?....
> >
> > E.G: if you state your requirements to be:
> >
> > Identity management for your 45 users
> > Access control & authentication
> > Private storage allocation for each user (home directories)
> > Shared storage between all users
> > MAPI based email supporting Outlook clients
> > Collaboration between users (calendar sharing, free/busy info
etc)
> > Shared printing facilities
> > Policy-based management of the workstations
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > etc...
> >
> > And the man from DelMonte, he say "yes", - and it fits
your SLA
> > requirements, and budget, then do you (or should you) care
(or=20=20
> even know)
> > what the underlying platforms are?
> >
> > Paul G.
> >

> > ________________________________

standard=20=20
> server 2008
> >
> > Currently we would be outsourcing all our IT to a support=20=20
> consultancy.
> >
> > I have no in-house IT manager etc.
> >
> > 2008/10/17 Ben McCormack <yahoogroup@xxxxxxx>:
> >> Ho-Yin
> >>
> >> Simple question - Do you have anyone within the company who
can
> >> support the XServe and OSX?
> >>
> >> Ben

of=20=20