Re: [OT] Big Bang - and a spare couple of batteries!

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Big Bang - and a spare couple of batteries!
  • From: "Andy Whitfield" <andywhitfield2002@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:56:18 -0000

I guess this is the tower version?
Very common for someone to pick it up via the bottom plastic fascia
and for both the fascias to rip off , severing the control panel
ribbon cable.  The UPS drops to the floor, all 50 Kgs of it.  It is
probably the UPS hitting the floor that has done something to its
electronics and caused it to go bang when you powered it up.
They aren't repairable when they go bang!
BTW I've got a number of UPSs that need repair (they haven't gone
bang, they have other faults).  I don't have the time or space to do
them.  If anyone wants to take them on, let me know.  I will
pay!   ;-)

So are you looking for another UPS?    or to get rids of the
batteries?

Regards
Andy the UPS Man.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Wayne <Wayne@...> wrote:

> Hiya all,
>
> Having 'acquired' a soon to be binned APC 2200 from an insurance
claim I
> finally got around to fixing it today. The 'fault' that originally
had
> was down to some removal company trying to move it by pulling on
the
> face plate and shearing the ribbon cable that joined it to the
main board.

> No problems I thought - If it was going to be 'binned' I might be
able
> to fix that! Hence it being sat in the kitchen for the last few
months
> waiting for me to get around to doing something with it.
>
> Dug out some 8 core cable and soldered it all in - all looked ok
so far.

> Anyways - to cut a few paragraphs out of this essay, lets say I
jumped a
> few feet in the air when it let out a loud bang and tripped the
mains
> out! (and it wasnt a wiring problem from replacing the lead
either - I
> checked!) I'm guessing there must have been something else that
happened
> to that APC as well as the lead shearing.
>
> So, I've effectively got 2 chunky APC batteries from a 2200 and no
APC