Re: Can you change a M/Board & Graphics card without reinstalling XP ?

Just swapped a pentium 4 motherboard for a Asus P5E-VM without any
problems - has to repair my current installation, and it activated
fine over the web.

Andy

2008/11/17 Paul Gordon <paul@xxxxxxx>:
> Theoretically, yes you can... however...
>
> If the installed version of windows used product activation, that
level o=
f hardware change will almost certainly cause it to "de-activate"
and requi=
re reactivation, most probably it will demand phoning Microsoft to get
them=
to allow it, since it will likely think it is a copy installed on a new co=
mputer... - I believe there are also EULA restrictions on OEM versions
that=
actually prohibit some of these changes...

> You should be able to have Windows re-detect all the hardware changes
aut=
omatically and update all the drivers for the new bits on the new mobo.
I'v=
e never done this "deliberately" - i.e. as a planned way to
upgrade a criti=
cal machine, but I have done it numerous times "accidentally"
when testing =
out old hard disks and so on.

> I personally don't like the idea of doing it this way, - best case
scenar=
io is that the Windows build starts up OK, goes straight into the
"Found ne=
w hardware" wizard, updates all the drivers & everything is
hunky-dory. - E=
ven then, you send up with a load of old redundant drivers left behind for
=
hardware that no longer exists, and you may end up with less than optimal
d=
rivers installed for some devices..

> Worst case is that some items are *so* different that Windows won't
even =
start up successfully on the new hardware... - I've seen this happen many
t=
imes too, - windows will for example BSOD during the boot up, or perhaps
re=
fuse to "see" the disk it is installed on...

> I'd much prefer to do a new clean install on the new hardware, then
spend=
some time transferring all the (required) files & settings over. It's a
bi=
t more work, but there are some tools out there to make it a little less
pa=
inful, and I think you tend to end up with a much leaner, cleaner and
hopef=
ully more stable machine at the end of it as a result.

> Just my =A30.02
>
> Paul G.

16/11/20=
08