Re: Can you change a M/Board & Graphics card without reinstalling XP ?

Hmmm, have you boys *actually* tried this?

Speaking from experience of having done this 4 or five times, it's only
actually worked once...
the other times it crashes with a BSOD half way through loading 2000 or XP,
mostly complaining that the drivers for the IDE controllers don't work with
the current hardware and then boom...

As the orginal mobo was usually dead, I had nowhere except a "full
install
and data copy" to go...

As your current PC is still alive, can I suggest you uninstall the IDE/SATA
drivers and the graphics card drivers, and then shut the PC down. Install
the new mobo and then fire it up.... Hopefully the install will detect the
drivers are missing and install them (providing they are available!),
rathe=
than just crash in a strop...

Good luck,
Lee

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Paul Gordon <paul@xxxxxxx>wr=
ote:

>   Theoretically, yes you can... however...
>
> If the installed version of windows used product activation, that
level o=
> hardware change will almost certainly cause it to
"de-activate" and requi=
re
> reactivation, most probably it will demand phoning Microsoft to get
them =
> allow it, since it will likely think it is a copy installed on a new
> computer... - I believe there are also EULA restrictions on OEM
versions
> that actually prohibit some of these changes...
>
> You should be able to have Windows re-detect all the hardware changes
> automatically and update all the drivers for the new bits on the new
mobo=
.
> I've never done this "deliberately" - i.e. as a planned way
to upgrade a
> critical machine, but I have done it numerous times
"accidentally" when
> testing out old hard disks and so on.
>
> I personally don't like the idea of doing it this way, - best case
scenar=
io
> is that the Windows build starts up OK, goes straight into the
"Found new
> hardware" wizard, updates all the drivers & everything is
hunky-dory. - E=
ven
> then, you send up with a load of old redundant drivers left behind for
> hardware that no longer exists, and you may end up with less than
optimal
> drivers installed for some devices..
>
> Worst case is that some items are *so* different that Windows won't
even
> start up successfully on the new hardware... - I've seen this happen
many
> times too, - windows will for example BSOD during the boot up, or
perhaps
> refuse to "see" the disk it is installed on...
>
> I'd much prefer to do a new clean install on the new hardware, then
spend
> some time transferring all the (required) files & settings over.
It's a b=
it
> more work, but there are some tools out there to make it a little less
> painful, and I think you tend to end up with a much leaner, cleaner
and
> hopefully more stable machine at the end of it as a result.
>
> Just my =A30.02
>
> Paul G.

ukha_d@xxxxxxx<:%21%21%20Malicious%20link%20%21%2140yahoo=
groups.com>]
> On Behalf Of
> > Dean Barrett
> > Sent: 17 November 2008 14:05
> > To: UKHA Group
> > Subject: [ukha_d] Can you change a M/Board & Graphics card
without
> > reinstalling XP ?
> >
> > My HTPC needs speeding up as i cant get BluRay playback properly
- all =
> > bit
> > too jerky.
> >
> > Its also my server for CQC and other bits, so dont really want to
scrap
> > everything and start again.
> >
> > So the big question is - can i replace the Mobo/Graphics and RAM
withou=