RE: Re: MS Server OS's : Don't get it

I imagine, (and this is just my personal opinion), that MS
deliberately
chose to close WHS to remove the possibility of the target audience
(home users, not server administrators), getting confused, and screwing
it up... - if you don't know what you're doing, I guess you could fairly
comprehansively bollox-up a W2K3 server by using its inbuilt admin tools
to mis-configure a bunch of stuff...  The whole point if WHS is to bring
a server product that is *EASY* to manage to the masses....

However, there *are* workarounds... - Like I said though, there are some
caveats involved in "opening up" WHS, and there are some of the
standard
W2K3 admin tools / features etc, that you "shouldn't" use due to
the
possibility of tanking something. - most of WHS's administration is
using the same underlying server admin functions, but is is often
invoking wizards that do other things behind the scenes to keep
everything sweet.. using the traditional admin tools to do similar tasks
runs the risk that you only do a portion of all those steps... - I think
disk administration is a particular area to watch out for here, since
WHS does some pretty clever stuff to simplify disk management for the
end user.

I'm pretty sure (at least in my experience), that pretty much any
mainstream app that installs & runs on XP should do just the same on
W2K3. As I said earler, there are a few "consumer-oriented"
features
that aren't in Windows server products, so it's *possible* that some
apps that utilise these features might not work properly... - the only
one I have personal experience of in uPnP, the components for which
aren't built in to 2003. - However, I have been successful in
"porting"
the necessary components from XP, and it has been working perfectly for
months now.

But yes, in general terms, and in all probablity in 99% of cases, apps
will be compatible across all the current windows platforms. - And of
course, WHS is in many respects, just another "flavour" of
Windows
server 2003, so most things that apply to W2K3 will apply to WHS as
well.

Paul G.