RE: MS Server OS's : Don't get it

Lots of questions there... unfortunately, I don't have lots of
answers,
because in most cases the answer is... it depends...

forget windows 2000, - that's now deprecated. Even Windows server 2003
is now superceded by Windows server 2008, although that's only *just*
been released, so 2003 is very much still a current product.

Widows home server is designed to run headless, but any of the others
*can* - just don't plug in a monitor... ;-) - the management tools for
2003 can be installed on any other (windows) client on the LAN, plus you
can always RDP to the server.

Windows Home Server is also _designed_ to be a closed system, - in as
much as MS intend that you don't (or can't) install "ordinary"
Windows
applications on it, - they want you to only install "made for
WHS" apps
on it. - But as it is based on the 2003 server codebase, you absolutely
CAN enable it to do double-duty as a "normal" Windows 2003 server
as
well... (there are some caveats, but for the most part it works fine).

However, for the most part, almost everything that server 2003 can do,
XP can do as well, - albeit perhaps in a slightly less "robust"
manner?... - but everything on your list below can be accomplished on XP
(as you obviously already know, 'cos you're doing it!). Switching to a
server OS wouldn't necessarily add or remove any functionality -
although there are a couple of things that aren't in the server OS's as
microsoft consider them consumer features, - like uP&P for example, -
but often these can be "hacked" back in, since (almost) anything
that
works on XP will work on server 2003, - including device drivers etc.

The benefits it *will* bring will be things like:
more networking features, DHCP, DNS, etc. etc. etc.
generally more "robust" operation, - very infrequently need to
reboot,
almost never crashes etc...
support for more client connections
support for more remote sessions (up to 3 including the console session)

That's just a *REALLY* simplistic view of some of the differences, -
there are too many to list them all...

HTH

Paul G.