Re: OT - Multi-Terrabyte storage via ZFS for the home ;-)

Richard,

I'm in the lucky position of using ZFS in an academic environment, we've
got 2 48 drive x4500s and one built in house system.

In our case ZFS just performs, and very well. With significant traffic
we've got multiple bonded gigabit ethernet serving ~120 clients we
seeing low performance hit on the CPU's of the x4500's (2x dual core
2.6GHz AMD opteron chips).

Feel free to get in touch if you'd like any more info.

Cheers

Stuart

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 18:46 +0000, Richard Utting wrote:
> With 1TB HD's now around =A3130 ea inc VAT, www.scan.co.uk I have been
> thinking of the home storage holly grail . . . .  a dedicated host to
tak=
> the place of all my disperate external USB / Firewire drives.
>=20
> 10Tb of online storage is perfectly possible with 12 HD's losing one
as t=
he
> Hot Spare the other to parity, its been a while so maybe not.
>=20
>=20
> But what CPU and m/board combo would you guys recommend, say =A3250 +
mem=
ory