Re: Support for vertical Cat5 Cable runs

I would think so but I was only interested in passing as I was going
have Geovision Cameras feeding to a PC indoors via the built in garage
to a PC in the house. That meant some holes in the double thickness
(30min ?) plasterboard ceiling which I ended up sealing with mastic. It
all ended up in the garage so their were only small holes. But the
source on UK.DIY was quite emphatic about such things - I think he was a
fire officer or something.

I tried googling but it was several years ago and I can't find something
after 6 months let alone 6 years...

Similar items:

covering fire collars for pipes
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/2657804a01
5dbc78/c4e3df787ae1beee?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#c4e3df787ae1beee

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/ea71382e67
a428d0/98258251acdae6f8?hl=en&lnk=st&q=fire+proofing+group%3Auk.d-i-y#982
58251acdae6f8

I remember looking at links that had rock-wool like stuff that was
supposed to expand across your cable run to seal it. Maybe UK Self Build
would have an idea.

Sorry,

Simon

In message <1EEBB88A-96B8-4366-BC98-97135675083B@xxxxxxx>,
Ben McCormack <yahoogroup@xxxxxxx> writes

>Simon
>
>Cheers - I had not thought about that yet.
>
>I guess some sort of 'fire break' between each floor.
>
>Ben
>
>On 17 Mar 2008, at 22:18, Simon Pawson wrote:
>
>> Can I just be a party pooper for a second. Please plan some sort
of
>> fire
>> retardant/insulation otherwise you've just built a blast furnace
>> between
>> your inter-floor/ceiling gaps, the roof space and that big PC with
the
>> jammed fan that is getting rather hot........
>>
>> I haven't looked in a while but there was someone knowledgeable on
>> UK.DIY that talked about intumescent foam/filler etc. He used to
>> discuss
>> this sort of thing.
>>
>> Sorry,
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> In message <8C79DF03-9A88-41D9-9D6F-13199234D6F1@
>thinkinghouse.co.uk>,
>> Ben McCormack <yahoogroup@xxxxxxx> writes
>> >
>> >Hi All
>> >
>> >Starting to plan the Cat5 runs in the new house and
considering a
>> >central wiring column in the centre of the house. I have one
concern.

>> >The duct will be about 5m high in total and the Cat 5 cable
will not
>> >have any support. How do other people support the cable on
large
>> >vertical runs?
>> >
>> >I thought cable ties can damage the cable if pulled too
tightly?

Date: