Re: Lighting Options ....

  • Subject: Re: Lighting Options ....
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:38:06 -0000

Ah!!!  Just replied to Paul thinking it was not possible.

You are right, we have X10 DIN rail modules in cabinets in a central
location exactly as you describe.  All of these use dedicated
momentary switches at normal wall locations.  And we have 'spare' runs
of cat5 to a limited number of switch locations.

Swapping out the X10 dimmers for CBUS units should be 'reasonably'
straightforward.

And the bus couplers sound the business for the switch end.

I'll have a look at the wireless version.  But I guess they are the
more expensive end.

So, it looks like I'll have to do some proper research now.

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "paul_watkin" <groups@...> wrote:

> Richard
>
> I am not 100% familiar with X10 having gone down the CBUS route from
> the outset but if I understand you correctly you already have the X10
> dimmers etc DIN mounted in the electrical cabinets and I am assuming
> each output goes to the specific load under control.
>
> If that is the case could you not swap the X10 Dimmers for CBUS
> versions and then use a combination of CBUS Wireless (for areas of
> the house that would be difficult to run cat5 to), Bus couplers
> (allow the use of conventional momentary switches to control CBUS
> loads) and hard wired CBUS in order to minimise the ammount of
> retrofit needed.
>
> Admittedley this approach may be more costly than an out and out
> Wired installation but would give lower installation hassle
>
> Paul
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups2@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > I did indeed replace the X10 with CBus - but it wasn't a simple
> job. When I installed the X10 system, we did a retro-install and
> changed a lot of the house wiring. We had to modify a fair bit of
> this to accommodate the new CBus install. Running Cat5/CBus cable
> could also be an issue - we used a mix of existing Cat5 (that I'd
> previously run to some light switches and also a lot of new pink CBus
> cable. So unfortunately, it's not a simple swap X10 for CBus install :
> (
> >
> > Ben here on the list did the work for me - took about 5 x 12 hr
> days to do it. The system is not yet fully complete - the loft
> conversion will also be added in shortly - this has 2 x high wire LV
> systems, bathroom LV lights, 6 x 5A dedicated lighting sockets and 3
> x sets of RGB LED stainless steel floor marker lights (controllable
> via DMX).
> >
> > HTH a bit?
> >
> > Paul.

hopefully

<groups2@> wrote:

> big
> > > install (although not quite on the Wembley scale!) as it
does
> every
> > > light in the house plus bedside lamps, fans etc etc. Also
VERY
> good
> > > for automation if you want to go down that route - I have
mine
> talking
> > > to HomeVision HA controller and xAP protocol via one of
Kevin
> Hawkins'
> > > EXCELLENT CBus/xAP/HV gateways :)

> but
> > > decided to replace it with CBus as the X10 was a bit
unreliable at
> > > times.

houses with
> C-