RE: Re: Lighting Options ....

I Was going to suggest much the same thing...

With X10 DIN rail kit, it's fairly likely to be star wired to the loads,
which would be just the right arrangement for CBUS to use. So the mains
parts ought to be able to just drop into the place of the X10 units
fairly simply.

The main difference is of course, the switch... the X10 DIN modules use
240V mains from the dimmer to the momentary switch. Therefore you *might
not* have the required CAT5 cable at the switch position.

Here's an unsupported, - but quite likely to work solution... - use a
CBUS bus coupler in the backbox behind the switch, connected to the
momentary switches, and then make use of the redundant length of mains
T&E to connect it to the CBUS network, instead of proper CAT5. This is
completely unsupported of course, but anecdotal evidence indicates that
the CBUS network is so reliable & resilient, that it would probably
work
over a piece of wet string if it had to... I believe there are people
here who have actually run CBUS over mains T&E instead of CAT5 (Phil?)
-
got to at least be worth a try on the bench if the lack of CAT5 to the
switch would otherwise be the stumbling block for your installation.

Of course, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MIX MAINS & CBUS!! - Expensive things
will likely go BANG! If you do.. - if you try this, double check, then
triple-check your wiring, and don't come crying if you get it wrong..

:-)

Paul G.

Of paul_watkin

wrote:

> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > I did indeed replace the X10 with CBus - but it wasn't a simple
> job. When I installed the X10 system, we did a retro-install and
> changed a lot of the house wiring. We had to modify a fair bit of
> this to accommodate the new CBus install. Running Cat5/CBus cable
> could also be an issue - we used a mix of existing Cat5 (that I'd
> previously run to some light switches and also a lot of new pink CBus
> cable. So unfortunately, it's not a simple swap X10 for CBus install :
> (
> >
> > Ben here on the list did the work for me - took about 5 x 12 hr
> days to do it. The system is not yet fully complete - the loft
> conversion will also be added in shortly - this has 2 x high wire LV
> systems, bathroom LV lights, 6 x 5A dedicated lighting sockets and 3
> x sets of RGB LED stainless steel floor marker lights (controllable
> via DMX).
> >
> > HTH a bit?
> >
> > Paul.

hopefully

<groups2@> wrote:

> big
> > > install (although not quite on the Wembley scale!) as it
does
> every
> > > light in the house plus bedside lamps, fans etc etc. Also
VERY
> good
> > > for automation if you want to go down that route - I have
mine
> talking
> > > to HomeVision HA controller and xAP protocol via one of
Kevin
> Hawkins'
> > > EXCELLENT CBus/xAP/HV gateways :)

> but
> > > decided to replace it with CBus as the X10 was a bit
unreliable at
> > > times.

houses with
> C-