Re: Lighting Options ....

  • Subject: Re: Lighting Options ....
  • From: "paul_watkin" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:30:36 -0000

Richard

I am not 100% familiar with X10 having gone down the CBUS route from
the outset but if I understand you correctly you already have the X10
dimmers etc DIN mounted in the electrical cabinets and I am assuming
each output goes to the specific load under control.

If that is the case could you not swap the X10 Dimmers for CBUS
versions and then use a combination of CBUS Wireless (for areas of
the house that would be difficult to run cat5 to), Bus couplers
(allow the use of conventional momentary switches to control CBUS
loads) and hard wired CBUS in order to minimise the ammount of
retrofit needed.

Admittedley this approach may be more costly than an out and out
Wired installation but would give lower installation hassle

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups2@...> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I did indeed replace the X10 with CBus - but it wasn't a simple
job. When I installed the X10 system, we did a retro-install and
changed a lot of the house wiring. We had to modify a fair bit of
this to accommodate the new CBus install. Running Cat5/CBus cable
could also be an issue - we used a mix of existing Cat5 (that I'd
previously run to some light switches and also a lot of new pink CBus
cable. So unfortunately, it's not a simple swap X10 for CBus install :
(

> Ben here on the list did the work for me - took about 5 x 12 hr
days to do it. The system is not yet fully complete - the loft
conversion will also be added in shortly - this has 2 x high wire LV
systems, bathroom LV lights, 6 x 5A dedicated lighting sockets and 3
x sets of RGB LED stainless steel floor marker lights (controllable
via DMX).

> HTH a bit?
>
> Paul.

Behalf
> > Of rb_ziggy
> > Sent: 15 January 2008 23:45
> > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> > Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Lighting Options ....
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > Did you replace the X10 with CBus?  I've an X10 based system
using DIN
> >  modules with momentary wall switches and was wondering if its
> > possible to switch to X10 without massive rewiring (i.e.
hopefully

wrote:

> > > I have CBus here too now (for the last 3-4 months) -
reasonably
big
> > install (although not quite on the Wembley scale!) as it does
every
> > light in the house plus bedside lamps, fans etc etc. Also VERY
good
> > for automation if you want to go down that route - I have mine
talking
> > to HomeVision HA controller and xAP protocol via one of Kevin
Hawkins'
> > EXCELLENT CBus/xAP/HV gateways :)
> > >
> > > I used to have a whole house X10 system using AD10's and
LD11's
but
> > decided to replace it with CBus as the X10 was a bit unreliable
at
> > times.
> > >
> > > CBUS = HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! :)
> > >
> > > Paul.