From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Mal Lansell
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 9:10 PM
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Finally a HiDef Replacement for XBMC?

There's always going to be an OS of some kind - the hardware has just
gotten too complicated to start from scratch every time and write all
the necessary device drivers - especially when that job has been done
already for an OS

In any case, a lot of "appliances" these days have standard PC
hardware
inside. Buy a DVD recorder for example, and it will most likely be
running a form of Linux.

As for porting xbmc, a Windows version would be simple - the XDK and
DirectX are very similar (in fact, didn't xbmc start out as a Windows
project?) Porting to other OSs would be more work, but perfectly possible.

Mal